Thursday, October 13, 2016

Book Review: "How to Date a Douchebag: The Studying Hours (How to Date a Douchebag #1)" by Sara Ney

***** - I won't beat around the bush here - I read a lot of romance novels. It started out as a bit of light reading in between fantasy epics, but they're now the bread and butter of my day. Romances tend to follow a formula, and when it's done well that is fine and dandy. Most of the time, the author does an adequate job and I am entertained. Occasionally, I struggle to want to read the book. This time, I loved it.

Our leading lady, Jameson "James" Clark, is a dedicated student but not your typical brainy heroine. She just wants to study and isn't charmed by the typical douchebag types we all know and loathe. Unfortunately, Sebastian "Oz" Osborne definitely fits that category, and he finds himself fascinated by the one woman he's ever encountered who hasn't thrown herself at his feet.

This sounds like the sort of eye-rolling cliche that we've all read a hundred thousand times, but these characters have some serious chemistry. They are also just interesting enough to not feel like the standard papier mâché leads we so often see. James and Oz are genuinely likable, well-developed characters - neither are sitting around waiting for a romance novel to come and move their lives along for them, but boy am I glad that it did.

Cute, fun, and surprisingly good - this is a gem and I am so glad that it's the start of a series.

No comments:

Post a Comment